Wednesday, May 22, 2013

RANDOM MUSSINGS (iii)

It seems to me that today everyone is a trend follower.  In 2009, everyone was macro economist. And both without apparent reason. It is clear today that the latter was wrong. At least, so far. I think that majority of the first will be trapped, too. Buffett is talking his book and eternal perspective and obviously he is right, so those who can afford to follow his advise, should definitely do that.  The rest at least has to be hedged.

I liked (let's call it) the battle of John Hussman and the Brooklyn Investor on the profit margins (a few additional dimensions on the subject - link). Frankly, after reading the Brooklyn Investor post I became hesitant, which means it is a must read. John seems like a strong statistician to me but as someone said owls are not what they seem.. Eternal perspective assumes that it is unclear what people will think when profit margins shrink, which is inevitable. In other words, multiple is uncertain. I still tend to lean towards a bias against high margins, which is now happening at the same time with a high multiple.

Graham with 50% in cash (link) is thinking in the same direction but instead of cash my hedge is a more aggressive bet (short of indexes).

A brief and eclectic stock update: INFU looks interesting below $1.40 (for a brief moment). Gazprom below $8.00, too. Gas reserves cannot cost 80x cheaper than at CHK for a long. However, Russian element brings some shiver in me. Umom Rasiju neponiatj (link - loose translation: you can't fathom Russia with mind). I do not have positions in both, yet. Of my holdings, LOJN looks cheap, trading almost at cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment